The thing that grosses me out the most is how normal and magical TV shows, movies and anime make incest. Incest is having physical relations with a family member or members. This is the weirdest and most disgusting thing we have to witness and yet people enjoy it (reel romance) so much that it is encouraging TV shows, movies and anime to show it in even more raw and unfiltered form.
So, there is a reason why incest is considered bad, although this is not just the reason for people’s disapproval.
- General behavioural problems, delinquency, anxiety, regressive behaviours, nightmares, withdrawal from normal activities, internalising and externalising disorders, cruelty and self-injury, post-traumatic stress disorder, low self-esteem, and age-inappropriate sexual behaviour are all symptoms of incest in the family. Bedbugs, interestingly, thrive on inbreeding. Along with pesticide resistance, inbreeding has increased their population by 500%.
- In the Bible, incest refers to sexual encounters between tightly related links that are forbidden by the Hebrew Bible. These prohibitions are mostly found in Leviticus 18:7–18 and 20:11–21, although they are also found in Deuteronomy.
- It is illegal in countries like India and US. While Muslim countries encourage marrying cousins. Shockingly, Adult consensual incest is permitted in France.
- Almost half of all reunions between siblings or parents and their offspring who were separated at birth result in sexual attraction. This is known as “Genetic Sexual Attraction” (GSA).
Game of Thrones: It has been a major depiction of incestuous love, and this was not the type of family reunion we all wanted.
DID YOU KNOW: Charles Darwin married his first cousin and had ten children, three of whom died as babies and three of whom were infertile.
So, why do TV Shows, Movies and Anime show Incest in their stories:
- Because they are controversial and thus will definitely spark media and people’s attention.
- They come under ‘Romance’, a delicate area where nudity can be shown and be called love.
- Taboo material in comedies, particularly irreverent ones like Two and a Half Men, can be amusing.
- Anime is rife with incest because Japanese media is far more open about incest (and incest sexual obsessions) than the Western world.
- The truth is that incest has never been a major issue in Japan; in fact, clans have long encouraged partnerships between cousins (or second cousins) to maintain family dynasties. When a father’s wife died, he would frequently marry his daughter. Such practices persisted long into the twentieth century, particularly in highly traditional rural families. According to genetics experts, this has caused a slew of issues in Japan’s DNA. Anime like Hand Shakers, Oreimo, Boku wa Imōto ni Koi o Suru, and the classic Koi Kaze to name a few.
Note: Incest is generally a form of abuse and exploitation of children who are not adult enough to know what is right or wrong.
DO YOU KNOW: Incest porn is quite popular due to people who are truly drawn to their close relatives and wish to be reassured that this is normal. They’re seeking authentic stories of other consanguineous people like themselves, not made-up ones.
Indian Movies/Daily Soaps: In Indian movies and daily soaps, there is a round-the-way approach in which various couples marry each other and their kids from earlier marriages, marry each other. Alternatively, the spouse’s daughter can marry the son of the other spouse’s brother. When a sister marries a brother in a new family, her other sister marries the other brother as well. It’s all twisted and reeks of “INCEST”.
But they are Indian movies that may help you decide for yourself: Girl in the yellow boots, Zameer and more, and Indian Daily soaps like Laut Aao Trisha. You must have also heard of the famous novel ‘The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy about forbidden love aka Incent.