Global life expectancy has been continuously increasing for about 200 years, thanks to the miracles of modern medicine and holistic diet in recent decades, resulting in a drop in late-life mortality throughout the second half of the twentieth century.
Still, we cannot deny Death, it will come to every human – whether Naturally or via a disease. So, I have listed down the leading cause of death in India:
- COVID-19 Pandemic: The whole world is battling COVID-19 but India is the most severely affected country where every day more than 3000 people are dying. It is the most common cause of death in India. According to data, over 2.74 Lakh people have died from COVID-19; however, specialists and media sources suggest that the actual toll may be much higher.
- Ischaemic Diseases: A heart disease, caused by narrowed heart arteries. It was the most common cause of death before COVID-19 took over. It accounts for 28.1 per cent of deaths in India, as per Statista.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: It is a chronic lung disease, caused by smoking and exposure to different air pollutants from indoor, outdoor, and occupational sources. It accounts for 0.89 million deaths every year in India.
- Strokes: It happens due to the Interruption of the brain’s blood flow which causes damage. As per WHO, long working hours led to 7,45,000 deaths from strokes in the world since 2000. In India, heatstrokes claimed the lives of 1,274 people in 2019, an increase from the previous year.
- Diarrhoeal Diseases: It is caused by a lack of proper sanitation and hygiene, as well as safe drinking, cooking, and cleaning water. Every year, nearly 1.2 million children die as a result of diarrhoeal illnesses and dehydration.
All this can be prevented with:
- A healthy diet
- Regular Exercise
- Manage Stress Levels
- Limit Alcohol and Quit Smoking
- Keep Blood Pressure and Diabetes in Check
- Control Cholesterol
- Get enough Sleep – A maximum of 7 hours
We cannot live forever, but we do have control over how we die and meet death like an old friend.